Understand Your Rights And Options After A DWI Arrest
California law states that a motorist is legally intoxicated if he or she has a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) at or above .08 percent. Most people think of drunk driving charges only in terms of blood alcohol test results. They believe that a reading of .08 percent or higher is essentially an automatic conviction.
Thankfully, DWI cases are usually more complex and nuanced than the scenario described above. Nearly every detail of the traffic stop and arrest are important, including the reason why you were pulled over in the first place. If the police officer made a mistake or violated your rights during the encounter, the BAC test results and other damaging evidence could potentially be thrown out.
Don’t Assume You Must Plead Guilty
Don’t make the mistake of assuming that you need to plead guilty if you were driving under the influence of alcohol. When you work with the Law Offices of Hanlon & Rief, our experienced attorneys will examine every detail of your case to determine what defense strategies may be available to you.
The Collateral Consequences Of DWI
We will also help you mitigate the collateral consequences of a DWI arrest, including:
- Vehicular manslaughter
- Driver’s license revocation
- DMV administrative hearings/license reinstatement
- Obtaining a restricted driver’s license
- Avoiding revocation of a professional license issued by the state of California
When Charged With DWI, The Details Matter
There are a myriad of ways in which drunk driving charges can be contested. The following is a partial list of problems we look for:
- The officer lacked reasonable suspicion to justify initiating the traffic stop.
- The officer failed to inform you that you could refuse field sobriety tests and a portable breath test without penalty.
- The field sobriety tests and/or portable breath tests were administered incorrectly.
- The breath testing device may have given inaccurate results due to improper maintenance and calibration.
Contact Our Firm To Discuss The Details Of Your Case
A DWI/DUI arrest can impact nearly every aspect of your life. That’s why you need a strong legal advocate on your side. Take advantage of our free initial consultation by calling our lawyers in San Francisco at (415) 906-3423 or by filling out our online contact form.